NeveHarms Players and coaches could come and go, but the two Dr. Harts could be counted on to stay. Both became fixtures at home and away games where they were an essential part in the success of the Peoria High School football program.
Lifelong Peorians, Dr. Robert and Dr. William Hart have been associated with Peoria High as students, parents of students and as team physicians. Unmatched for continuous service to the school, the two doctors served for a period spanning six decades. Dr. Bob became the team physician in 1946 and Dr. Bill joined him in 1949, both serving through the 1992 football season.
A 1931 Peoria High School graduate, Dr. Bob played football and was active in other school functions. After finishing at Bradley U., he attended the University of Illinois College of Medicine graduating in 1939. After serving in the U.S. Air Force, he returned to Peoria in 1946 where he established a practice in Pediatrics. His daughter and four sons graduated from PHS where they were involved with a number of school teams. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Dr. Bill was active in various school activities, graduating from Peoria High in 1936. After completing his degree at Bradley U., he received his medical degree from the University of Illinois, finishing his internship and residency in general surgery in 1949. He practiced surgery in Peoria until his retirement in 1992. Several of Dr Bill's five daughters and two sons graduated from PHS. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgery.
Both would interrupt busy schedules to care for the athletes of Peoria High. They would keep their offices open after hours to administer the needs of injured players, whether it be game night or regular practice. Coaches could count on the two doctors to return to the school or go to the hospital following a ballgame to ensure that the athletes received proper care.
In 1982, Dr. Bob and Dr. Bill were honored by the Illinois High School Association as the FIRST recipients of the Team Physician Award for service rendered to high school teams of Illinois, an award they richly deserved.
AND - just for the record, they served under SEVEN coaches. Their names in order are: John Noppenberger, Leon Daily, Tony Juska, Wm. ìCorkyî Robertson, Dick Whitaker, Dick Jamieson, and Larry Lavery. EIGHTY NINE (89) YEARS OF TOTAL SERVICE - a tough act to follow!!
Players and coaches could come and go, but the two Dr. Harts could be counted on to stay. Both became fixtures at home and away games where they were an essential part in the success of the Peoria High School football program.
|H. V. Porter|
Henry Van Arsdale (H.V.) Porter
A native of Manito, Ill., Henry Van Arsdale Porter is credited with coining the phrase "March Madness," but his influence on high school athletics in the state of Illinois and nationally is much more tangible. After graduating from Illinois State University in 1913, Porter began his career as a high school coach, athletic director and principal. He led the Athens High School boys basketball team to a 29-1 record and a runner-up finish in the 1924 state tournament, as well as a 36-3 record and fourth-place state tournament finish in 1926. Well known for his administrative skills, however, Porter served as an IHSA Assistant Executive Director from 1929-40, before moving on to the National Federation of High School Athletic Associations (NFHS) staff in 1940 as the organization's first executive secretary and editor of publications. Throughout his career, Porter's contributions in a wide range of areas led directly to the evolution of basketball. During his service to the IHSA, Porter organized the department to train and license high school officials in football, basketball and baseball and he oversaw the introduction for state tournaments in the sports of tennis, golf, swimming and wrestling. He also published the first high school basketball rules book in 1936, standardizing the game across the country. Among his contributions to the game, Porter designed the popular, fan-shaped backboard in 1933 and in 1935 he pushed for the replacement of the 32-inch sewn leather basketball with a 29.5-inch, molded leather basketball. The new ball was much easier for youth players to handle and made dribbling a more prominent skill in all levels of the game. Porter also pioneered the use of motion pictures to study proper playing techniques. Porter was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1960 and the Athens High School gymnasium is named in his honor.